If you’re looking for a winemaking recipe there are plenty available online, but how do you know which one to choose? And if you’re thinking of mixing a few different fruits you may not find one at all. Creating your own recipe will allow you to tailor it to your own tastes and you’ll know that it will be balanced in terms of alcohol, acid, tannin, sweetness and body.
The Home Wine Program allows you to quickly and easily create recipes. Typical values of some commercial wines are shown for guidance in setting the targets for a balanced wine. Tables and bar graphs show how well a recipe will meet the targets and various tools are provided for making adjustments. The composition data for 130+ ingredients are included and you can also add your own data. Recommended sources include the book “Must” by Gerry Fowles which is available from www.vigoltd.com and data shown in www.brsquared.org.
A method of processing the ingredients using kitchen equipment will be shown, together with advice about which additives to use.
At the end of the day it’s up to you to decide which fruits will go together well. That’s an important part of the art of making good wine.
The Notebook allows you to keep track of the progress of each batch of wine and display it in graphical form.
Downloading the application is free, and doesn’t require registration.
Version 2 is now available with these new features :-
- stock control for your winemaking ingredients
- a simplified means of adding or editing fruit composition data
- allows changes to the recipe after a batch has started fermenting
- calculates the alcohol content using the gravity drop method and allows for the effect of any additions made to the must
- allows for a batch of wine being split into sub-batches, eg to sweeten some of it and fortify some
- a blending and fortifying option with a preview of the expected effect on the wine’s composition
- keeps records of your stocks of wine, both home made and commercial
- comes preloaded with some of my recipes which were either prize winning or simply well received by family and friends
The minimum system requirements are a pc running Microsoft Windows™ 95, 98, Me, NT4, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8/8.1 or 10 with 8Mb hard disk space.